Abigail is a big fan of Miffy so it wasn’t difficult to decide what her birthday theme would be. It just had to be Miffy! I ordered Miffy birthday cake and cookies, and print some coloring pages To put inside. Her 2nd birthday was nothing fancy, in fact, we just celebrated with her small group of friends. Therefore I decided to make the goodie bags myself. I ended up making drawstring bag because it’s actually useful and easy to make! It was made of canvas material with Miffy’s character screen-printed on top of it. Here are the step-by-step instructions. This is my first tutorial post so I hope you understand :)
Supplies needed: fabrics, 40 cm cording tubes, sewing machine, pins, scissors, iron.
- Cut your two 30×40 cm pieces of fabric.
- Work on the wrong side: Fold 1 cm around the three sides of your fabric, leaving the top side unfolded. Repeat with the back piece.
- Sew those three sides down. Repeat with the back piece.
- On the top side, fold 1 cm and fold again another 1.5 cm (so it’s total of 2.5 from the very top). Repeat with the back piece.
- Sew around the edge. Repeat with the back piece. You just created loops for your cording tube.
- Join the two pieces of fabric. Sew the edge of three sides (leave the top sides) with right sides facing each other.
- Turn the fabrics inside out and press.
- Now thread the cording tube. Work on the loops at the top side just created. Start from the right side of the front piece, thread the cording towards the left until the it comes out of the hole at the left. Continue to thread it towards the back piece until the cording comes out the right hole of the back piece. Tie the two cording tubes together at the end.
- Work in counter current direction. Thread the cording from the left side of the front piece to the right side, continue to thread it from the right side of the back piece towards the left side. Tie the two cording at the end.
- Pull the cords on each side to cinch and voila! Drawstring bag is finished!
I hope you find this tutorial useful! Good luck trying :)